Ever had an extreme craving for Mexican food?
ALL THE TIME?
Yeah, us too.
This Huevos Rancheros recipe is our adaptation of the one found at COOKIE+kate.
Because J has never successfully followed a recipe all the way through, and claims that he’s not about to start now.
Before you begin cooking, make sure you know how to fry eggs.
If not, marry someone who does.
That usually works for him.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- half an onion, chopped
- chili powder, cumin
- half a lime
- 1/2 cup of salsa verde
- 1 ripe avocado
- handful of cilantro (fresh or dry)
- 1 clove of garlic (or a teeny spoonful of the jarred stuff)
- corn tortillas (1 per serving)
- eggs (1 per serving)
- Feta cheese
- hot sauce (we used Sriracha)
WHAT TO DO:
1. Saute the beans, onion, chili powder, and cumin with about 1/4 of a cup of water. If the mixture looks a little dry during cooking, you can add some more water.
2. Once the onions are translucent, let the pot simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Mash some of the beans with a spoon (or whatever you’re using to stir) and remove it from the heat, still covered.
- J also tossed a couple of Hershey Kisses into the pot. This was probably a bad idea, in retrospect, but everything turned out ok. L didn’t notice 🙂
3. Blend the salsa verde, avocado, garlic and juice from the lime.
4. Heat it on the stove on medium-low heat for a few minutes, and set aside on the stove, covered (you can also microwave it).
5. Fry (or scramble, if you like) the eggs in a large skillet.
The two eggs on the top are going LET’S BE EGG FRIENDS
Stack in the following order:
Tortilla → Beans → Salsa → Egg
Top with feta and however much hot sauce you want!