We also made meatloaf and mashed taters today…felt like we needed some comfort food, despite the fact that it is 87 degrees inside our apartment…oh, well. Kick up the oven-time to get cookin’.Yup.
Preheat oven to 375
- In a bowl: 1 lb of ground beef, 1 egg (beaten), 1/2 red pepper (minced), 1 onion (minced), 1/2 cup of oatmeal (we used the Irish variety), salt, pepper…mix, form in loaf-type shape and place in pan…
- In a small-ish bowl: 1/3 cup ketchup, 1 tablespoon mustard (um, we used honey mustard, because that’s all we had), and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (packed)…mix it together, and pour it all over the meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 hour (and 10 minutes if you have a special oven like ours)
- Slice and serve with potatoes (see below)
Mashed potatoes (or, if you don’t have a potato masher like us…chunky smashed potatoes)
- wash and clean up 1lb. red skinned potatoes. Cube and place in big pot with 4 cloves of garlic and enough water to cover
- Boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes (or until fork tender)
- drain, return to pot, and add: 1/4 cup chicken stock, 1/4 cup sour cream, 4 tablespoons milk, some thyme (we just dumped it in…no measurement), salt and pepper.
- Mash…use whatever tool you have. We mashed them with a big spoon, until we remembered we had an electric hand mixer…used that, until smooth…ish.
- Eat ALL THE FOODS.
Next step: have your nice fiance clean up since you made dinner, giving you ample time to complete homework due tomorrow.